Frequently Asked Questions for Deluxe Driving School
Looking for answers? See our Frequently Asked Questions below. If you need more information call us at 650-694-1400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. What are the main driving skills taught during lessons?
- We cover and assess the following important driving skills: Car Familiarity, Steering, Acceleration, Braking, Scanning, Left Turns, Right Turns, Following Distance, Changing Lanes, Blind Spots, Interstate Freeway Driving, Straight Line Reverse, and Parallel Parking. These driving skills are tracked in your account's Report Card. We also offer Refresher courses for individuals who have not driven for awhile or unfamiliar with driving in the US. Please discuss your driving needs with the driving instructor.
2. Do you pick the student up for in-car driving lessons?
- Yes, our driving instructors will pick up the students at their desired location anywhere from San Jose up to Redwood City. In 2022, we've expanded to San Mateo and San Ramon area. The lesson may be canceled at the student's expense if the student is not prepared by having their permit or license and prescription glasses (if required by DMV).
3. I'd like to take the DMV test but do not have a car. What is the process for scheduling DMV test car rental with your school?
- For DMV test car rentals, please email or call our office to coordinate the CA DMV Behind-the-Wheel test appointment with our instructor's availability. We require that you have taken at least one driving lesson with us before renting our car for the DMV test. We take students to the following DMV field offices: Los Gatos, Redwood City, San Jose, Santa Clara, Santa Teresa (San Jose). Here is the general process:
1. The student schedules the CA DMV Behind-the-Wheel test appointment, then send us the DMV confirmation email which contains your name, DMV location and test date/time. Or you can let us know your Name, Date of Birth, Permit Number/Expire Date, preferred times and we'll book the DMV Behind-the-Wheel Test on the CA DMV Website for you along with checking our instructors' availability.
2. The student needs to purchase the DMV Road Test for $270 on our website deluxedriving.com before we can manually schedule it in our system. If needed, we'll work with you to reschedule the test appointment on the CA DMV website so that it fits with our schedule too. Usually with enough notice of 1-3 weeks, we can find a good mutual time.
3. Our instructor will pick you up one hour ahead of the DMV Road Test to practice then take you to the CA DMV for your test.
4. Can you help nervous and anxious drivers?
- Yes! Our calm patient instructors can help you become a better driver and more comfortable on the road. There are several methods we can teach you to help relax on the road!
5. Do I need to sign up for all six hours of driving lessons right away?
- You may schedule your 2-hour lessons in advance or schedule as needed based on what works for you.
6. Why does my account show inactive?
- There are a few reasons why your account may be inactive. You owe an outstanding $50 cancellation fee or the permit provided to us is expired or it's been more than a year since you have first enrolled. Please contact us for help.
7. When can I get my driver's license?
- To receive your license you need the following:
- To be 16 years or older
- Completion certificate for the classrom or online driver education course.
- Gold completion certificate for the driver training (6 hours behind the wheel instruction)
- Have a permit for at least 6 months (until age 18)
- Complete 50 hours of behind the wheel training with your parents or guardians or an instructor
- Pass the driving test making zero major errors and less than 16 minor errors
8. Can my parents teach me with a license from another state?
- No, whoever drives with you must have a valid California Driver License, and be 25 years of age or older. The person who signs your permit stating that you have done the 50 hours of extra driving instruction must have a valid California Driver License. Adults with learning permits only need a California licensed driver 18 or over to teach them.
9. Is your business DMV licensed?
- Yes! DMV license #E2224. We are bonded and insured. All of our cars are equipped with an additional passenger brake.
10. How long do I have to complete the courses?
- Prepaid behind the wheel instruction should be completed within 12 months from the starting date.
11. For teenagers: What if I started my behind-the-wheel training at another school and need to finish 6-hours behind-the-wheel lessons at your school for the behind-the-wheel certificate of completion (DL 400D)?
- Please ask the other driving school for a letter stating your name, birthdate, and behind-the-wheel training dates/times on their school's letterhead. You may email this letter to us.
12. What is your cancellation policy?
- Once you’ve enrolled in the 6-hours behind-the-wheel program, we do not offer refunds. If we show up at your door and you are not available for lessons, we charge $50 to cover for the loss lesson. Please plan carefully and avoid last minute changes or cancellations. Our instructors do their best to prepare for the lessons and come pick you up in a timely manner. We want to provide you great service but must enforce our cancellation policy. Lessons are non-refundable. To cancel a lesson, login into your Deluxe Driving School DriveScout account, select View/Cancel Sessions, then click the Session to cancel. If you need assistance, please email or call us.
13. If I need to cancel a driver training appointment, how much notice must I give to avoid being charged the $50 late cancellation fee?
- A full 24 hours for weekday classes. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday appointments must be canceled by Friday morning at Noon to avoid being charged. There is a $50 fee for no-show.
14. Do you teach standard transmission (stick shift)?
- We teach manual transmission driving and the student must already have a driver's license.
15. Do you issue the CA DMV Certificate of Completion for 6 Hours of Behind the Wheel (DL400D)?
- After completing six hours of Behind the Wheet training, the instructor will provide a Certificate of Completion for 6 Hours of Behind the Wheel (Gold Certificate) to the student.
16. What if I lose my enrollment certificate or completion certificate?
- We charge $25 to replace a certificate. We can mail it to you.
17. Do you employee any female instructors?
- We currently employ one female instructor and about to hire one more excellent lady instructor. All our instructors have undergone background checks and are professional.
18. What areas do you serve?
- We have three offices: Mountain View, San Mateo, and San Ramon. The Mountain View office services students from San Jose up to Redwood City. Those students should continue to sign-up at www.deluxedriving.com. The San Mateo office services students who live in Belmont, Burlingame, Foster City, Redwood City, San Carlos, and San Mateo. See San Mateo Driving School to register and sign-up. The San Ramon office services students who live in Danville, Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton, and San Ramon. See East Bay Driving School to register and sign-up.